Despite our efforts to ignore the reality and provide monolithic ad placements, after years of experience and education from working with various ads partners, we've come to learn that ads are opportunities and should be served up as such, and we must avoid setting the expectation that everyone will always get X per day, for various reasons:
- Firstly, not everyone can receive the same number of ads. Even the same person will have a different number of ads available to them from day to day, and even hour to hour. This resulted in players feeling short-changed if they couldn't receive the same number of ads as someone else. This is 100% outside of our control and depends on advertisers, the demographics they want to target and when they want to show ads. It was almost never a bug when an ad could not be shown, yet was consistently perceived as such due to how it was implemented (setting the expectation that X ads per day would be available). It was our own lack of experience with video ads that led to us implementing it in that way initially.
- Secondly, gameplay is negatively impacted by singular repetitive ad placements. If managers depend on repetitively watching a series of adverts as a substitute for actually managing the team, that's no good! We want the gameplay to be filled with challenges and decisions. It is a manager game, after all.
Existing ad placements have been modified, and new ad placements have been introduced:
- The old parts ad placement now can be viewed a maximum of 3 times, to avoid advantaging or disadvantaging any managers like before
- There is a new placement in the investment dialog that allows managers to get free cash for their team, this will also act to provide extra cash for HQ upgrades (e.g. manufacturing) offsetting a reduction in free parts
- There is a new placement on the training page that allows managers to perform healing on their drivers. This should enable extra training at no extra cost.